Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Do What You Like. Like What You Do. Really?


I was behind a car today with a license plate frame that said, "Do What You Like. Like What You Do.", and I thought, "Really?" Does the person driving this car really believe this? Does anybody? I understand the motivation lying behind the saying. We all should be free to pursue our dreams, and we should resist those who attempt to place limits on that freedom. But freedom has its limits. We can't just do anything we like. In other words: Do we really want racists to lynch African-Americans? Do we really want misogynists to beat their women? Do we really want terrorists to blow up innocent bystanders? Those are things that racists, misogynists, and terrorists like to do, but do we really want them to do what they like? I don't think so. Or, at least I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment