Tuesday, January 29, 2013

LeBron's Alright With Me

I admit that I didn't like the way LeBron James announced he was leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers to join Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh and play for the Miami Heat ("Miami-Bound LeBron Breaks Hearts in Cleveland"). And I wasn't in the least bit disappointed when the Heat didn't win the NBA Championship the first year after LeBron joined the team.

However, the other night after a Miami Heat fan, Mike Drysch, sank a half-court shot and won $75,000, I changed my mind about LeBron. LeBron ran on to the court, jumped on Mike (good thing Mike wasn't hurt!), and joined in the celebration (see the YouTube video below). It wasn't an act. He was just excited for the guy. How many other professional athletes would have done what LeBron did? I'm guessing few, if any. In know my sample size is small, but LeBron strikes me as a great guy. I think he made a mistake on how he left Cleveland, but in a year in which the sports world seems to be bending over backward to forgive Ray Lewis of his many (and great) sins, surely we can forgive LeBron for his relatively minor (in comparison) shortcomings as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment