Sunday, October 7, 2012

It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over

I seldom watch the Texas Longhorns play football, but their game came on right after the Stanford-Arizona game, so I ended up watching part of their game against West Virginia. West Virginia jumped out to a 21-7 lead, but then Texas stormed back and tied the game at 21-21. As the game-tying touchdown was under review, Texas stadium disc jockey played the early 1990s dance hit "Jump Around," and most of the people in the stands, at least the Texas fans, started jumping around. So did the entire Texas Longhorn football team.


I make no claims at being a football strategist, but dancing around like you just won a game when it's only the middle of the second quarter strikes me as ill-advised. I can't imagine why you'd risk firing the other team up. I know if I had been West Virginia, I would've been a little put out if I'd had looked across the field and saw the my opponent dancing. And perhaps that helps explain (at least in part) why, in the end, West Virginia won the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment