Thursday, August 15, 2013

All He Knows How to Do?


There's a heartwarming story about San Jose State football player, Anthony Larceval, in yesterday's San Jose Mercury News ("A Spartan's Resolve"). It tells how Larceval contracted a rare disease, meningoencephalitis, in mid-December of last year. After a couple of days of flu-like symptoms, he collapsed and for five weeks he was in various states of consciousness. When he finally awoke in late January, missed his team's Military Bowl victory over Bowling Green, lost 40 pounds, had difficulty walking and talking, and was told by doctors that he wouldn't be able to play again for twelve months, which meant that he would miss his senior year. The good news is that Larceval beat the odds and will be able to play this season

One quote jumped out at me that gave me a little discomfort, though. Larceval remarked, "I've been playing football since I was 6 years old. This is all I know how to do." All he knows how to do? I sure hope not. He's a fifth-year senior in college, and I would like to believe that he's learned something while he's been at State because odds are he won't be playing football next year. I'm guessing Lacerval was just engaging in a bit of hyperbole (the article does say he will graduate and hopes to teach high school special education). At least I hope he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment