Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Grammys and Lady Antebellum

The Grammy awards have come and gone, and the band, Lady Antebellum was the big winner, taking home five Grammys. My son assures me that Eminem deserved to win, and while I'm not an Eminem fan, I wouldn't be surprised if he's right because the Grammys has a knack for getting things wrong. A case in point: Lady Antebellum has already won more Grammys than the Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin, and it only needs to double its output before it passes The Beatles. The Stones didn't receive their first Grammy nomination until 1982 and didn't win their first "real" Grammy in 1995 (they received a lifetime achievement award in 1987).  The Who and Led Zeppelin have only won lifetime achievement awards and four of The Beatles awards came long after the band broke up -- three in 1997 and one in 2008.

Now, I don't want to suggest that Lady Antebellum's song, "Need You Now," isn't any good (it clearly is), but surely no one really thinks it has the staying power of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Pinball Wizard," "Stairway to Heaven" and "I Saw Her Standing There."

No comments:

Post a Comment