Thursday, March 17, 2011

On the Lighter Side: Memorable Baseball Quotes

Baseball's Greatest Quotations Rev. Ed.: An Illustrated Treasury of Baseball Quotations and Historical LoreA recent issue of the AARP Bulletin (yes, I'm old enough to get it), culled several baseball quotations from Paul Dickson's book, "Baseball Greatest Quotations." Here are a few of the better ones:

"It ain't nothin' till I call it." -- Bill Klern, umpire

"Ninety percent of this game is half mental." -- Yogi Berra

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's wife without even considering if there is a man on base." -- Dave Barry

"I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands." -- Babe Ruth

"Bob Gibson is the luckiest pitcher I ever saw. He always pitches when the other team doesn't score any runs." -- Tim McCarver

"Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster." -- Joe Adcock

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win." -- Yogi Berra

"I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast." -- Eddie Bane

"When they start the game, they don't say, 'Work Ball!' They say 'Play Ball!'" -- Willie Stargell

"I never took the game home with me. I always left it in some bar." -- Bob Lemon

"All I remember about my wedding day in 1967 is that the Cubs lost a double-header." -- George Will

"Sure I played. Did you think I was born age 70 sitting in a dugout trying to manage guys like you?" -- Casey Stengel to Mickey Mantle

"Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?" -- Yogi Berra

"A hot dog at the game beats roast beef at the Ritz." -- Humphrey Bogart

"As a nation we are dedicated to keeping physically fit... and parking as close to the stadium as possible." -- Bill Vaughn

"If you don't succeed at first, try pitching." -- Jack Harshman

"So I'm ugly. So what? I never saw anyone hit with his face." -- Yogi Berra

"The baseball mania has run its course. It has no future as a professional endeavor." -- Cincinnati Gazette editorial, 1879

No comments:

Post a Comment