For our son's 16th birthday my wife (Deanne) found a birthday card (made by Carlton Cards, Cleveland, Ohio) that listed the top 10 things you'll never hear parents say to their 16 year old:
10. "We're going away for the weekend. You might want to plan a party."
9. "That TV isn't going to watch itself!"
8. "Well, just do whatever all the other kids are doing."
7. "Here's a great idea! Let's go get matching tattoos!!"
6. "As long as you're living under our roof, YOU make the rules!"
5. "Oh, like school's so important. Come on, let's go the mall today, instead."
4. "Why are you spending som much time cleaning your room? You're neglecting your video games!"
3. "Turn that music up!"
2. "Stay out as late as you like, Sweetie. And, please don't call to let us know where you are."
1. "Don't bother going to college and having a successful career. We're going to support you for the rest of your life!"